I must preface before I begin.
I am unsure what to call my children on here. Although I use their names on facebook and other areas I dont feel comfortable with using them here. Perhaps I dont feel comfortable with it at all anymore. So I am going to simply refer to my kids as 1, 2, and 3. ( Yes, it is very boring and unoriginal but if I try to think of 'creative' names I will waste the next hour and not be able to write anything.) Sometimes I may say son 1 and son 2 and daughter 3, or perhaps boy 1 and boy 2. anyways....................
Jello Head. Our newest family member is our lovely daughter who just turned 8 weeks today. She is what they term 'high maintenance' or 'high needs' or 'sensitive'-basically she's fussy. We are having problems with her eating, her gas, her sleeping and her general happiness. It doesnt seem to matter what we try-she is still fussy. Oh of course not all times are like this. She has her great moments and sometimes sleeps like a dream (usually when we are out) and also sleeps a good 6 hr stretch at night (this is the only thing that keeps me sane most days). But most of my days are spent trying to get her to stop crying and sleep for more than 10 mins at a time. It is often noon some days before I've done anything but feed the kids, change them and calm her down. It makes the days fly by (sorta).
At an attempt to solve this issue we are trying everything. We swaddle her, have a white noise machine, swing, rock, bounce, shush, as well as use a numerous amount of feeding 'techniques'. She is on pro biotic drops for her digestive system as well. Do any of these work? I really have no clue. But we prevail and hope that either one or all work or time will solve the issue. Which brings me to Jello Head.
Our newest 'solution' is 'The Happiest Baby on the Block'. A calming and sleeping advice book (we took quick route of watching DVD instead) for your baby. There are 5 S's to the process-Swaddling, Shushing, Side, Swinging and Sucking. But they stretch for the S's and the Swinging is really my Jello Head. After swaddling and holding her on her side we make her head wiggle like jello. Apparently it is the key-the turn off switch. She looks like a bobble head doll. (Now its not shaking and is not vigorous-just wanted to make that clear). So I sit on the chair with her on top of my lap and attempt to make her head wiggle. I suck at this. My motion is not smooth and all jittery and 3 looks at me like I'm insane. But 2 mins later she is out. And not just asleep like normal and ready to wake up the second I move her and put her in her crib-she is out cold. It apparently works-at least so far ( a lot of things have worked for us for the first few days).
So now my daily routine consists of making my daughter have a Jello Head-interesting.........


1 comment:
#3 totally acts like Nate did at her age!! If my next one has colic too I'm definitely trying the jello head technique.
Post a Comment